Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things, this implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
The Diocese of the Horn of Africa and all parishes within it adopt the Anglican Province of Alexandria’s polices and practice guidance relating to safeguarding.
We will endeavour to safeguard children, young people and adults by:
- Ensuring the care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and adults.
- Carefully selecting and training all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with safer recruitment principles.
- Supporting, resourcing, training and regularly reviewing those who undertake work with children, young people and adults.
- Establishing safe, caring communities which provide an environment where there is a culture of ‘informed vigilance’ as to the dangers of abuse.
- Recognising that it is the responsibility of each of us to prevent the physical, emotional, sexual, financial and spiritual abuse of children, young people and adults, and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
- Responding without delay to every complaint made which suggests that a child, young person or adult may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
- Seeking to work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care.
- Committing ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust.
- Challenging any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
- Offering pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or adult.
Our Safeguarding Officer is Charlotte Hanlon. Please contact safeguarding.stmattsaddis@